Today was my last day at work!! Without much sadness, I said adios to the Hearst building, never to enter again. Overall, I am very excited to be done because it means I'm that much closer to being home. Lauren (middle sis) is arriving tomorrow at around noon to spend the weekend here and help me move out. Sadly, our other sister Lindsey isn't able to come because she has the swine flu! We will miss her so much and it's so frustrating that she can't come, but we will get to spend the week together in Little Rock when I get home and we are really excited about that!!
I honestly can't believe how fast the summer has gone by. I feel like just a few days ago I was sitting on the floor of my apartment when I first arrived wondering what in the world I had gotten myself into. There have been hard times, but I have gotten to do amazing things and things I could definitely only do in New York City. There are many girls who wish to do a summer in NYC, and I feel lucky to have been able to do just that. Do I wish to move here ever you ask? Probably not. I have learned that the South is where I probably belong, and while it was fun for a summer, I don't know that I could handle all the hustle, bustle, and generally mean people all year round.
So here's a recap of what I've seen... Empire State building (which is literally my next door neighbor), Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Yankees game, Times Square, The Met, Broadway Shows- The Lion King, In The Heights, and 9 to 5, picnics in Central Park, Bryant Park and Washington Square Park, riding bikes in Central Park, Times Square, concert on Bowery Street with my friends Heather and Jill, the Black Eyed Peas on the Today show, Brad Paisley on Good Morning America, a taping of The View, a taping of It's On with Alexa Chung, Rockefeller Center, Saturday morning Famer's market in Union Square, stalking the set of Gossip Girl (and seeing them!), St. Patrick's Cathedral, 4th of July fireworks on the Hudson River, Ground Zero, Beyonce concert at Madison Square Garden, art galleries in Chelsea, walking the Brooklyn bridge and eating amazing ice cream on Fulton Landing, watching Tina Fey and Steve Carrell film a movie, a BBQ Festival in Madison Square Park (where I also met Billy Mays.. RIP), Chinatown, South Street Seaport, ate at a lot of amazing restaurants, had 4 of the greatest people come visit, and basically lots of walking around and seeing many different parts of the city.
Celebrity sightings: Gayle King (Oprah's BFF), Black Eyed Peas, Penn Badgley, Jessica Szhor, Leighton Meester, Joanna Garcia (Cheyenne on Reba), Will Arnett (Amy Poehler's husband), Dina Lohan, all of The View hosts, Minnie Driver, Alexa Vega, Tina Fey, Steve Carrell, Brad Paisley, Kelly Rowland (Destiny's Child), Kellan Lutz (Twilight), and almost President Obama if the glass wasn't so thick and dark but I saw his limo.
I have learned a lot about myself and a lot about life while I have been here. I think the number one thing I have learned is that (and this might sound very cheesy) the Lord is definitely our strength and the giver of peace when we have no strength left and no peace in our hearts on our own. He has shaped me into something I couldn't imagine before I got here, and I can't wait to continue this process. I am so thankful for the fact that He promises us He is our hope, our strength, and our comforter. At the beginning of the summer I went through verses to kind of make a list of verses to live by this summer and this one is one of my favorites... "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trials and sorrow. But take heart, I have OVERCOME this world." (John 16:33) What an amazing reminder that the one who lives in me has overcome this whole world of tragedy, sadness, worry, anger, fear, and heartbreak. So while I might be frustrated or fearful of what's happening in my life, I know that He has overcome that already and I just need to trust in Him. It's just the remembering part that's key.
Thank you so much for your prayers this summer. I honestly don't think I could've gotten through anything here without the support of my family and friends and those who have continually encouraged me. I'm glad I've gotten to share a little of my summer with you through this blog!
4 comments:
Leah,
I have not had the chance to meet you in person yet...I am a friend of Chris and Lindsey's. I am so glad that God has revealed Himself to you in new ways while in NYC. I have been praying for you and will continue to pray that God will use you and encourage you in ways you can't imagine.
Hope to meet you sometime soon...maybe it can work out the next time Linds comes to town.
sister...i cannot believe how similar our summers have been from the coasts! i cant wait to get back to the south and talk about it all with you! loved this post!! see you soon friend.
Leah...I am so thankful you had the opportunity to be in NYC this summer. You are an amazing young lady. I continue to learn from you as I do from your sisters what life is really all about.
Love,
Dad
I have loved hearing about your summer!! I am so proud of you!!!!!
Post a Comment