BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 16, 2009

My days at Seventeen...


So, I realized today that the title of my blog is "Life of a Seventeen Intern." And actually all I have really talked about is my life in NYC. So, I will update you on my actual intern experience. This picture was taken in the fashion closet (where I spend about every hour of my work day)... and no, I didn't wear that hat to be serious. Brooke and I, the other girl in the pic, were playing around trying to make light of a work day. Day to day can be pretty monotonous. We do pick ups from different companies (getting out of the closet which is great), returns to different companies through Dynamex (messenger), on foot, or through UPS. We sort through jewelry, organize jewelry, sort through shoes, organize shoes, organize some more shoes, etc. Then we get the occasional email noise... which we now have learned to HATE that is usually titled: "URGENT MISSING FIND NOW MUST BE BACK HOURS AGO" or something like that, maybe not that intense but that's how it feels. Because we have companies send us an email saying, "Hey I got your return of 500 necklaces, but we are missing 1. Could we get that back this afternoon for a shoot? It's urgent." And most likely, those people gave us their stuff in like February. I hope you are getting the picture... so then we have to rummage through every drawer, every shelf, every closet, every tray of jewelry. And sometimes we find it, sometimes we don't. And we have been told "I can't find it" isn't an option for an answer. So, it can get pretty ugly there in the fashion closet from time to time.
Those responsibilities are more tedious and less fun. The fun things we get to do are what I love about the job. The past few weeks we have been getting ready for the November covershoot and story. Although I can't reveal who's on the cover (because I signed a contract that threatens to sue us for $20 million), we have been getting to work with the stylists that will be at the shoots. It is a cool process because my boss makes requests for jewelry, shoes, belts, scarves, etc, the stuff comes in, we edit through it, lay it out for the stylist, then the stylist comes in and makes the outfits of what she thinks they will use. And helping the stylist means she's asking us our opinion and seeing what we like. It has made me very interested in styling... something to look into for jobs I suppose. We also get to pick stuff out for stories. Like my boss does the "super shopper" which is inexpensive looks. Today, she told me to pick all the jewelry and she would edit out what she wanted. So, essentially, I picked out the stuff for that story which is really cool.
Today is probably the coolest thing I've done yet... Me and Brooke (another intern, in the photo with me) went with our boss to do marketing appointments. Basically, we go to different showrooms and she looks at their upcoming lines for future issues. We just sat and listened. We went to Bendel's and the showroom for BCBG. It was really cool... and it was cool to get on a more personal level with our boss. We had a conversation on the subway and let's just say after a lot of really hard work, it feels good to be acknowledged and hints of a future with Seventeen. That's all I'm sayin...
It has really been a good experience. Hard, but any internship is hard because you are at the bottom of the hill, and things roll down and just hit us all the time. But I have met a lot of really cool people and gotten to do a lot of cool things. I only have Monday and Tuesday left of work, then my sisters will come and I head home Sunday!! Have a great weekend.

1 comments:

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Dang, I wish I was going to NYC!! I am soooooo sad.